WARNING: MY TOMATO SOUP IS NOT HEALTH FOOD
But you can make the “wimpy version” if you want. It’s healthy. This is a featured recipe on Fall Menu Week 2
Tasty Tomato Soup
- A jar or two of crushed tomatoes. You can also blanch and pureé fresh tomatoes
- a big onion.
- thyme (fresh or dried)
- salt and pepper
- Melt about 1-2T of butter in a kettle.
- Sauté a diced, large onion until it’s translucent.
- Add tomatoes, and simmer. If your tomatoes are chunky and you want them smooth, purée with an immersion blender or use a tomato masher.
- Add a little thyme. For each large can or quart of tomatoes, I’ll start with a half teaspoon fresh (I never measure) or about 1/4 teaspoon of dried. This is the spice that really makes this soup… the key here. You can swap it out and experiment, though!
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Just before serving, add a little more butter (about 1T) and at least a half cup of heavy cream. I probably use more–I don’t measure. Healthy option: you can sub milk or light cream, even half-and-half if that much cream makes you cry.
COST: $-$$ If you’re using cream, it’s a dollar or so more. But, tomatoes should be in your pantry, and you’ve probably got onions. This should be affordable.
GLUTEN FREE: Yes
VEGAN: This can be vegan. Leave out the cream or swap for a cashew milk or other vegan non-flavored creamer. No one wants vanilla creamer tomato soup.
KETO: This is a tough one to adapt for keto because the base is tomatoes, so you’ll probably be hitting the upper-end of your carb limit. However, make this with cream and moderate, and you can sneak an app-sized portion in for keto or low-carb.