Stir fried rice is Chinese takeout for pennies.
Take out is expensive and takes time to pick up. You don’t need it. You can have this stir fried rice instantly. Rice is freezer friendly, so you can freeze any leftovers for this quick meal. I call this “recycled food” because you can raid your fridge on “this really needs to go” night and dump half the veggies in this.
Stir Fried Rice from the Pantry
- oil (canola or peanut)
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 cloves of garlic (or 1/2-1 tsp dried)
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of fresh, grated ginger, or 1/2 tsp powdered
- Any veggies: carrots, peas, anything really…
- Any meats (optional): shredded pork, cut up chicken, beef. You can use fresh or leftover.
- pre-cooked (leftover) rice, cold is best
- 2-3 eggs, scrambled in a dish
- soy sauce
- Scramble your egg. Fry in preheated oil in thin layers. Slice into ribbons. Put aside.
- Sauté onions and any veggies you want cooked. Add the garlic and ginger towards the end so it doesn’t burn. If you’re using fresh meat (not precooked leftovers) add this here and sauté on high until done.
- Reduce heat. Add a little more oil if this is sticking.
- Then, add rice, some soy sauce, and the cooked eggs. If you’re using leftover or pre-cooked meat add it in this step.
- Heat up and stir for a few minutes.
- Taste for seasoning and serve.
- This produces a pretty light fried rice. If you want it more stuck together, you can add one scrambled raw egg now and keep cooking until it’s binding the rice together.
COST: $: You’re using up leftovers. This is a waste saver, budget saver, and is totally delicious.
GLUTEN FREE: Yes.
VEGETARIAN: Yes. Skip the meat.
KETO: No. Try this instead. It’s a one-pot meal in the spirit of an egg roll mashed up with fried rice.
INSTANT POT: Yes on sauté, but you’d be better off with a large frying pan here.
COOK AHEAD: This freezes well. Make extra and pack in flat food saver bags, freezer bags, or (Pro tip!) freeze flat on a baking sheet and put in one large freezer bag. You’ll be able to scoop out what you want for a prep ahead lunch.